Rights and Responsibilities

Tenant Toolbox

The Housing Authority provides a home to a large number of households in Western Australia, and most of these households live in harmony with their neighbours.

It is recognised that maintaining good relationships with neighbours is a two way street. It is in your interest to make sure things don't get out of hand.

Disruptive behaviour is a breach of your agreement and is treated very seriously by Housing.

Disruptive behaviour includes:

  • Fights and unruly behaviour
  • Parties that get out of hand
  • Loud music
  • Abusive language
  • Entering neighbourhood properties without permission
  • Interfering with other people’s possessions.

The Government has introduced a new Disruptive Behaviour Management Strategy to address public concern about disruptive behaviour in public housing.

For more information see the Disruptive Behaviour Management Policy in the Rental Policy Manual.

To report disruptive behaviour to the Housing Authority, phone 1300 597 076 or go to the Report Disruptive Behaviour page.

Moving In

When you move into your new home, your Housing Services Officer will give you a Property Condition Report. This describes the condition of each room in the house as well as the exterior and gardens.

If you find any fault with the property, it is important that you write down what is wrong and return the copy of the form to your local Housing Authority office within 7 days. This prevents you from being charged for repairs to anything that was damaged before you moved in. If you don't return the form, we will assume you are happy with the property.

Change of Circumstances

If your circumstances change you need to tell the Housing Authority. This includes changes to income or assets or a change in the number of householders.

For more information see What if My Circumstances Change?


Yes, your pet is welcome! But there are a few common sense rules:

  • Dogs and cats can be kept provided your property has a separate, non-communal yard. It is your responsibility to ensure the yard is enclosed and kept clean, tidy and free of animal waste. You also need to make sure your pet does not damage the property or disturb the neighbours, otherwise you may be asked to remove the pet from the property.
  • If you live in a flat or apartment without a separate yard, unfortunately dogs and cats are not allowed but you can keep other pets such as a caged bird or a fish.
  • Check with the local council about any specific rules for your suburb. Most local councils allow up to two dogs on a residential property, but this can vary.
  • Cats and dogs must be kept in accordance with relevant Act, Regulations and local government by-laws.

Things you must know:

  • Housing will not install additional fences or gates to enclose a yard for a pet.
  • You must not keep any dog listed in the Dog Regulations 2013, these are:
    • ​Dogo Argentino
    • ​Fila Brasileiro
    • Japanese Tosa
    • American Pit Bull Terrier
    • Pit Bull Terrier
    • Perro de Presa Canario​
    • Any other breed of dog the importation of which is prohibited absolutely by the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956
    • A dog that is a mix of 2 or more breeds, where one of the breeds is a restricted breed.

Care for heaters

Some Housing rental properties are provided with heating appliances.

If your property is provided with an unflued gas heater you need to take special care when using it:

  • Keep the heater clean and free of dust
  • Don’t leave the heater on when you go to sleep
  • Don’t use the heater in a confined space.

For more information about gas heaters see the How to Care for Your Room Heater brochure.

Annual inspections

Your Housing Services Officer will visit your home at least once a year. This is called the annual property inspection.

The visit is to make sure that you are keeping your home clean and tidy and to see if anything needs repair or maintenance.

You will be given plenty of notice and you must be home during the inspection.

They usually take about 30 minutes.

You can prepare for the inspection by:

  • Sweeping away dirt and dust
  • Wiping away grime and cobwebs
  • Wiping down benches, walls, cupboards, sinks, bathrooms, toilet and appliances
  • Cleaning windows
  • Mowing the lawn
  • Sweeping paths and patios
  • Removing rubbish.

You may want to ask a family member or friends to help you. If not, services from local shires or community groups may be able to help. Ask your Housing Services Officer how to find some of these services.

Your Housing Services Officer can also visit throughout the year to see how you’re going.

These visits are part of your tenancy agreement.​​​​


 Related Information