The Department of Communities is aligning its investment in social and affordable housing with METRONET to help build liveable and connected communities.
Through partnerships with the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, Communities is delivering its $394 million METRONET Social and Affordable Housing and Jobs Package. The Package addresses the State’s need for additional social and affordable housing in locations aligned with Stage 1 of the METRONET program, and supports infill density targets. It is also assisting Communities to:
- use housing to achieve better outcomes for individuals and families in need;
- deliver inclusive and connected communities where people of all incomes and backgrounds have a place to call home and belong;
- create a housing system that is more responsive to current and future needs; and
- address the State’s aging social housing stock, changing client demographics and dwellings that are no longer suitable for client needs.
Over a four-year period, the Package will commence delivery of 1390 new homes, comprising 320 new social housing dwellings, 400 affordable homes and a further 670 homes for full market sale. This activity will support the creation of over 2000 new jobs.
The Package is being delivered through four different work streams (outlined below) to develop high-density mixed-tenure projects; create unique compact urban communities on strategic sites close to METRONET stations; and develop and redevelop smaller scale sites within one kilometre of new METRONET or existing train stations.
- High-density transit-oriented developments
- Transit-oriented communities
- Development of Communities’ land
- Redevelopment of Communities’ assets
Several projects within the Package are underway, including but not limited to:
Partner with us
Find out more about partnering with Communities to deliver social and affordable housing.