FAQs – Newman Service Workers Accommodation

Q: I’ve submitted an online application form, what’s the next step?

A: Housing Authority will contact you to seek further details to progress your housing application. Information that will be requested includes the following:

For organisation applications:

  • Copies of ABN or ACN certificate
  • Copies of your organisation registration
  • Signed statutory declaration which captures the eligibility criteria.

For the employee to be housed:

  • Two forms of identification for your employee (one must be photo ID)
  • Confirmation of your employees’ eligibility to work in Australia
  • Employees’ payslips (covering a consecutive four week period)
  • Casual employee’s estimated gross annual income and commencement date (a statement from the employer or at least payslips covering a consecutive four week period)
  • If self-employed, two current consecutive tax return statements detailing gross annual income. For new organisations, a statement from an accountant may be required to outline gross annual income.

    All applications will be assessed to establish a priority ranking order and confirm eligibility. Should your application be approved the Housing Authority will contact you to arrange your accommodation.

Q: Can partners who work for the resources sector live in this housing?

A: Yes. However, the primary occupant must be employed by an eligible business that provides services to the Newman community and not solely to the resources sector.

Q: How many houses will my organisation be allocated?

A: There is no limit to the number of houses which can be allocated to a particular organisation. Applications will be assessed in accordance with priority ranking categories, such as the established need for the services provided by the organisation and their employee, combined household income, and other criteria. You will need to lodge a separate online application for each house you require.

Q: How many dwellings are available and how many bedrooms and bathrooms does each dwelling consist of? 

A: There will be ten two-bedroom, two-bathroom units available. 

 Q: What is the Allocations Panel?

A: The Allocations Panel:

  • Assesses the eligibility of applicants
  • Prioritises eligible applications for allocation of housing and inclusion on the waitlist.

The Allocations Panel includes representatives from Pilbara Development Commission, Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Local Shire and the Housing Authority.

Q: How are applications prioritised?

A: When prioritising eligible applications, the Allocations Panel may give consideration to:

  • Combined household income
  • Established need for the services provided by the business applying for housing and their employee/s
  • Type of services offered
  • Size of the organisation
  • Consequence to the individual or business if not allocated housing
  • Other housing/funding options available to the organisation and/or their employees
  • The number of properties already allocated to the organisation.

Q: Are the Newman service worker houses available now?

A: Yes, the accommodation is available now.

Q: Can I have pets in the Newman service worker houses?

A: Where there is an enclosed yard, dogs can be kept at a property. However, no restricted breeds are allowed. Dogs must be kept outside. Cats are also permitted. It is recommended you consult with the local Shire regarding their pet guidelines.

Q: Is smoking permitted in the accommodation?

A: Smoking is not permitted indoors or in common areas. Tenants who smoke are requested to smoke outside and away from common areas.

Q: Is there room to park my caravan/boat/trailer next to a unit?

A: There is limited parking space. Only units directly off Homestead Ramble may have a small amount of additional parking.  It is recommended that you inspect the allocated unit parking space. 

No parking will be permitted on the garden area or long term in visitor bays.

Q: What period is the lease for and how long will the dwellings be available for occupation by service workers?

A: Initially lease agreements will be offered for a 12-month term. There will be an option to renew the lease on the condition the organisation and occupants remain eligible. It is the intention of the project to make the housing available for up to 50 years.

Q: What are the ingoing costs?

A: A bond payment equivalent to four weeks rent will be required in advance. In accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 1987, the bond will be lodged with the Department of Commerce Bond.

Q: What are the ongoing costs?

A: Ongoing costs will include rent, water and power consumption. Power connection and consumption bills will be the responsibility of the business and / or the employee. The water consumption will be billed by the Housing Authority to the business or the employee, as nominated in the lease agreement.  At no time can the business profit from the on charge of these accounts.

Q: Are the units furnished?

A: No.

Q: Are the dwellings available to purchase?

A: No.

Q: How much rent will I have to pay?

A: Eligible service workers will pay a subsidised rent rate of $267.50 per week for one bedroom and one bathroom.

Employers can choose to subsidise the rents to their employees, but cannot charge more rent than you pay to the Housing Authority.

Where a lease is made directly with an individual, rent will be charged weekly and payment can be arranged by a range of methods, including direct debit or payroll deduction.

Rent will be charged by monthly invoice to businesses / organisations. 

Q: What if I miss out on allocation of housing this time?

A: There will be a waiting list for all eligible applications prioritised by the Allocations Panel. Upon a dwelling becoming vacant, the Housing Authority will make contact to offer accommodation to the highest ranking applicant on the waiting list.

Q: How will the leases be structured and who will manage the tenancy?

A: The Housing Authority will manage the tenancy and prepare the lease agreements. There will be three options for leases.

  1. A direct lease with the business owner. Under this arrangement the business owner is responsible for paying rent, water, bond and any other charge associated with the tenancy.   This allows for flexibility should your business hire transient staff.
  2. A head agreement with the organisation and a sub-agreement with the employee. The Housing Authority will act as the agent for the organisation and manage the tenancy in accordance with the terms specified including payment responsibilities, assessment on vacating, and charges.
  3. A direct lease with the employee or sole trader as an individual, where the organisation owner is not involved with the lease responsibilities but the employer must be eligible under the housing program.

 Related Pages