The Department of Communities is gradually revitalising several properties in Hilton to stimulate housing supply and diversity and preserve post-war character homes that are synonymous with the suburb.
The Hilton Revitalisation Project was initiated in 2015 to help strategically redevelop 52 underutilised social housing properties (over 50 lots) through land subdivisions, sale of homes with heritage significance, sale of vacant land and the construction of new social housing homes.
The redevelopment of these properties enables Communities to:
- preserve the original post-war character homes by selling them to private owners at affordable prices for refurbishment
- provide opportunities for people to buy affordable land in the suburb to build their dream home
- construct new social housing that is modern and better suited to tenants’ needs to increase housing supply and diversity in the suburb and foster an inclusive and vibrant community.
As at March 2022, more than half of the 50 identified lots have been subdivided and many of the old character houses on these original lots as well as vacant land parcels have been sold to private buyers at affordable prices.
A total 16 of the subdivided lots have been retained by Communities for the construction of 32 new social homes.
New social housing construction
In different stages, the project is constructing 32 one and two-bedroom modern social housing properties to address the gap in the availability of smaller homes in the area.
Through a past design competition, Communities selected Bernard Seeber Architects to design 14 of the 32 new social homes in Hilton.
All 32 new social homes will be built by various builders at different times during 2021-2023. Construction of the first set of homes began in September 2021.
- Further information will be provided on this page as the project progresses. A fact sheet with some questions and answers about the project is also available on the right side of this page.
- If you have any queries about the project, or would like to receive e-updates, please email the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org.