Disruptive Behaviour

We all have a right to live in a peaceful neighbourhood and to the quiet enjoyment of our home. This means you and your neighbours have the right to enjoy and use your property in peace, privacy and comfort without interference. This applies to everyone, whether they own their home, rent privately or are a public housing tenant.

Tenants in public housing properties have responsibilities and obligations under their tenancy agreements and the Residential Tenancies Act 1987. Tenants must not:

  • cause intentional or reckless damage to the property
  • injure any person occupying or permitted on adjacent properties
  • use, cause or permit the property to be used for an illegal purpose
  • cause or permit a nuisance by the use of the property
  • cause or permit interference with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of any person who lives in the immediate vicinity of the property

What is disruptive behaviour?

Disruptive behaviour is anything that unreasonably interferes with the quiet enjoyment of your home. This can include:

  • excessive or ongoing noise
  • threats, intimidation, offensive behaviour or assault
  • trespass
  • noise and disturbance from domestic arguments

Resolving concerns with your neighbours

The best way to resolve concerns or disagreements is by talking to your neighbours to reach a reasonable compromise that is acceptable to everyone.

If you cannot reach an agreement with your neighbour, Legal Aid Western Australia​ provides information and assistance in dealing with common problems, your rights and options and where you can find help.

More information:


 Related Pages


 Related Information