Reporting Maintenance

NGO Tenant Toolbox

The Housing Authority is the largest landlord in Western Australia. We own more than 35,800 properties across the State.  
We carry out regular maintenance on all of our rental properties. However if something is damaged or broken in your home, you can contact us using the following methods:
When faults occur due to normal wear and tear, we provide maintenance and repairs at no charge. Faults caused by neglect, misuse or willful damage are charged to tenants.

After hours emergencies

After hours maintenance services will be provided for emergency maintenance repairs of the utmost urgency-such as a gas leak, power failure or burst water pipe - to be attended to after normal working hours.
Work that is not deemed to be an emergency will not be attended as after hours, but will be reported to the local housing office who will arrange inspection or works in normal working hours. 
Tenants who use this service for situations that are not life or property threatening will be charged the full cost. Typically, the call out fee is around $200. 

Before calling with your maintenance issue

Please have your account number ready.
When you are explaining what needs repairing or replacing, try to give us as much detail as you can. The more we know about the problem, the easier it will be for our contractors to resolve your issue on their first visit.
If the damage has been caused by another party and has been reported to the Police, please have your Police Offence Report Number ready to provide to our staff.
There are some things you are responsible for, like replacing light bulbs, but if there is a reason you cannot do these things, you can contact Housing Direct.
Looking after your garden and general house cleaning are also things you must do yourself.

Fixing your problem

We employ professional contractors, like plumbers and electricians, to make repairs to your home.
We will let you know when you can expect a contractor to fix or inspect the work required when you contact Housing Direct.
The contractor will need to get into your house, so remember to stay home or arrange for them to get in or access the area that requires attention.
As a tenant you have a responsibility to:
  • Be polite and courteous towards contractors
  • Give contractors the necessary access and freedom to do their work so that it can be completed in the shortest possible time 
  • Keep appointments with contractors. If a contractor is delayed, allow a reasonable time before leaving your property
  • Restrain or pen your animals and pets if they are a risk to health and safety or liable to escape from the property. Also do so on request from the contractor 
  • Empty kitchen and bathroom cupboards if the nature of the work requires it and if you are asked to do so by the contractor 
  • Move ornaments, paintings, clothing and other personal and small items and fixtures near the damage.

If the problem poses a danger, repairs will be commenced within three (3) hours for metropolitan areas and within four (4) hours for non-metropolitan areas.

If the problem is serious, such as no hot water, it will be attended to within 48 hours.

Other everyday problems, with the some exceptions, are to be completed within 14 calendar days.

We use regular building condition assessments to undertake maintenance on a larger scale to protect and prolong the life of properties.
This planned maintenance includes painting and refurbishment.