Structural Improvements and Additions

Tenant Toolbox

You can seek consent from the Housing Authority (apart from minor improvements) for non-structural and structural improvements and additions to your rental property. Please refer to the below for further advice.

Minor improvements are temporary improvements which are easily removable and do not affect the structure of the premises. These improvements/additions do not require approval from Housing.

Minor improvements may include:

  • Curtains
  • Blinds
  • Picture hooks

Non-structural improvements require approval from the Housing Authority by completing the Property Improvements and Additions Request Form.

Non-structural improvements include:

  • Security screens
  • Air conditioning
  • Additional fencing
  • Foxtel
  • Satellite dishes
  • Insulation
  • Gun cabinets

Structural improvements require approval from the Housing Authority by completing the Property Improvements and Additions Request Form with a copy of the quote of the improvement/addition attached and if approved, then completing an Application for Building Permit Form. This will then be submitted to the Permit Authority for further action.

Structural improvements may include, but are not limited to:

  • Carport
  • Garage
  • Pegola/patios or shade structures
  • Retaining walls
  • Flagpoles
  • Sheds

To make any non-structural or structural changes or additions to your property, you need to complete the following before work commencing:

  • Fill out a Property Improvements and Additions Request Form, available from your local Housing office
  • Attach a copy of the quote for improvement/addition on company letterhead showing ABN/Trade License
  • Housing Authority will look at your request and let you know if your request as been approved or declined in writing
  • For structural improvements and additions that require a building permit, an Application for Building Permit Form is to be submitted to the Housing Authority Permit Authority (Permit Authority) once the Tenant Improvements and Additions Request for Consent Form has been approved.
  • All works must be carried out by a qualified trades person and licensed contractor.
  • A current Contents Insurance Policy (incorporating personal liability cover) must be held by the tenant for the duration of the installation of the structural improvement and for the remainder of the tenancy or until the structural improvement has been removed.
  • If the works carried out is electrical, please provide a Certificate of Electrical Safety after installation.
  • If the works carried out is gas related, please provide a Notice of Completion after installation
  • If you are installing a gun cabinet you must possess a valid firearms license, the firearms stored must be licensed and the gun cabinet must meet all specifications in accordance with the Firearms Regulation 1974

Be mindful that you may be required to remove your addition/improvement at your own expense before you vacate the property.

Note: The Housing Authority does not permit the installation of swimming pools or spa pools which can hold water greater than 300mm in depth.​​​​


 Related Information