Living With a Disability

Tenant Toolbox

We offer a range of housing options for people with disabilities. This includes people with intellectual, physical, sensory or psychiatric impairment.

If you think you need changes to your home, or you would like special equipment to help you get about your home more easily, please talk to your Housing Services Officer.

Home modifications

Home modifications may include installing ramps, grab rails and/or bathroom renovations.

We will provide appropriate housing to meet your disability needs. This may include modifying existing Housing Authority rental homes to allow access by the person with a disability.

Applicants that require housing modifications need to provide an occupational therapist assessment report. If you do not have an occupational therapist, Housing will arrange for one to visit and assess your disability housing need. Tenants should discuss their housing modifications needs with their Housing Services Officers.

In some instances, it may not be possible or practical to modify your existing rental home to meet your disability needs.

If this occurs, we will look at other options such as a transfer to a more accessible or appropriately located home, or if necessary, build a purpose-built home to meet your disability needs.

Purpose-built homes

Purpose-built accommodation is mainly for people with physical disabilities. These are referred to as mobility homes.

However, some accommodation is provided for people with other types of disabilities. These may be group homes or cluster unit developments designed to meet a person's disability and social needs.

We manage a number of programs and a purpose built home can be constructed within any of these. For example group homes and cluster strata titled units are provided through the Community Disability Housing Program.

How do I apply?

Each Housing Authority office has nominated a position as coordinator of the priority list for people with disabilities.

This is usually the Manager Client Services (MCS) or the Area Manager in the metropolitan area and the Manager Housing Services (MHS) in the country. They are responsible for deciding what type of accommodation is allocated to an applicant with a disability.

You will first be offered existing housing stock with or without modifications, if this meets your disability requirements.

If existing stock is unsuitable, we may offer a purpose-built mobility dwelling.

Some of the design features of mobility homes include level thresholds, wider doorways and passages to allow for wheelchair access, low kitchen bench-tops, large rocker switches and power points set at appropriate heights and accessible bathroom design.

In some cases, you may be able to view a mobility purpose-built home, subject to availability.

If you wish to discuss what type of housing would best suit your needs please contact your nearest Housing office.

Additional Resources

The Housing Authority provides additional resources to tenants with disabilities including:

  • Occupational Therapist Service — Housing contracts an occupational therapy service to ensure that the needs of people with disability are properly assessed in regards to their housing and that appropriate allocations are made.
  • Design Consultancy Service — Housing contracts a number of architects to design appropriate housing for people with disabilities. Accommodation can then be modified or purpose built.

Access Home Loans

The Access Home Loan Scheme is designed to help people with disabilities buy their own home or modify an existing private home to cater for their needs.

People on disability support benefits and their carers in receipt of a pension can apply for this loan.

For more information, see Keystart's Access Home Loans brochure.​​​


 Related Information