Homelessness Advice

Department of Communities (Housing) do not provide emergency accommodation.
Crisis Care 
Crisis Care provides Western Australia’s after-hours response to reported concerns for a child’s safety and wellbeing. Additionally, they provide information and referrals for people experiencing crisis and can be contacted for advice around homelessness services. Those experiencing Family and Domestic Violence may also contact Crisis Care to discuss accommodation assistance and support services. 
If you are assisting someone who does not speak English, first call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50. They can connect you with the service of your choice and interpret for you.
Crisis Care is funded by the Department of Communities.
Crisis Care: Free call 1800 199 008
For telephone, text and online chat counselling you can also contact Lifeline
  • Call 13 11 14 (for 24-hour crisis support)
  • Chat to a crisis supporter
  • Text on 0477 13 11 14 
Entrypoint Perth 
Entrypoint Perth is a service provided by Centrecare Incorporated and is a point of contact for families and individuals who require access to Specialist Homelessness Services (SHS) and other accommodation and/or support services in Western Australia.
Entrypoint Perth is funded by the Department of Communities.
  • Phone: 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684
  • Monday to Friday: 9.00am to 7.00pm
  • Saturday: 9.00am to 5.00pm
  • Closed on Sunday or Public Holidays
  • Please use Entrypoint Perth's online registration form outside operating hours.