Centrelink Rent Assistance

The Commonwealth pays rent assistance to recipients of income support payments, including those who receive more than the base rate of family tax benefit (Part A), and pay private rent above minimum thresholds.

Rent assistance can be used for:

  • Rent (other than for public housing or the state/territory owned and managed Indigenous housing)
  • Service and maintenance fees in a retirement village
  • Lodging
  • Fees paid to use a site for a caravan or other accommodation which is occupied as the principal home
  • Fees paid to moor a vessel occupied as the principal home.

For more information visit the Department of Social Services website.