Community Housing

Community housing is affordable housing for people on low to moderate incomes with a housing need. This type of housing is owned by, or under the legal control of, a Community Housing Organisation.
These organisations are generally, but not always, not-for-profit. Local governments also provide community housing.
Community Housing organisations are skilled in matching people to properties according to individual requirements by considering location, design and support needs. Types of accommodation provided by these organisations include crisis, transitional and long-term housing.
The Department of Communities (the Department) aims to work in partnership with the Community Housing sector to achieve its vision of opening more doors to affordable housing options for Western Australians.
How can I apply for Community Housing?
If you want to apply for Community Housing with the Department, a Housing Options Assessment needs to be completed first. This can be collected and completed at any Housing Office and submitted in person, via email, by mail or fax. Where required, arrangements can be made to complete the form over the phone.
The assessment will provide you with information about a range of housing products and services you may be eligible for based on your current household circumstances. The Assessment is not an application for assistance and does not guarantee eligibility. On completion of the assessment, you will still be required to complete a formal application for any products you wish to apply for. If you wish to be considered for Community Housing, you  will need to tick the referral to Community Housing box on the Application for Public Housing form. 
If you would like assistance in completing the Housing Options Assessment or subsequent application forms, contact your local Housing Office. If you are already waiting for public housing and are not sure if you have ticked the community housing referral box, contact your local office to update your application.
More questions?
For more information about community housing, please contact